What happens if a dog eats a plum? Plum pits, foliage, and stems contain a compound called amygdalin. When the body processes this compound, it converts it into hydrogen cyanide, a deadly poison. Consuming amygdalin in high enough quantities can cause cyanide poisoning in dogs, sometimes known as plum poisoning.
How much plum is toxic to dogs? The flesh of the plum itself is generally not harmful. “Unless it is overripe, fermented, or moldy, a small amount of plum flesh without ingesting the pit is probably fine,” she explains.
Can dogs eat plums and peaches? Unlike watermelon or strawberries, stone fruits including cherries, plums, apricots, and peaches can be bad for dogs if they still have the pit, stems, and leaves. If your dog accidentally ingests these parts of the fruit, keep an eye on him for any changes in behavior.
What fruit is poisonous to dogs? Grapes and raisins (dried grapes) have proved to be very toxic for dogs no matter the dog’s breed, sex, or age. In fact, grapes are so toxic that they can lead to acute sudden kidney failure. Always be mindful of this dangerous fruit for dogs.