How did my dog get Demodex mites? Demodex is most often transmitted from mother to puppy while suckling milk because of the pup’s immature immune system. Exposure of a normal, healthy dog to one with demodex is not dangerous. Demodectic mange is not contagious between other dogs as it requires a depressed immune system to develop.
Is Demodex in dogs curable? The good news is demodex is typically very responsive to treatment. About 90% of dogs will be cured with treatment. The remaining 10% usually can be managed with long term medications. Even in the most treatable cases therapy usually lasts at least 6 months.
How do I know if my dog has demodex?
- Hair loss in patches.
- Rubbing their face or head.
- Redness or inflammation of the skin.
- Excessive oil on the skin.
- Crusting on the skin.
- Paws that are swelling.
How do you treat demodex mange in dogs? The approved treatments for mange (demodex) are sulfurated lime or amitraz, but when they are not effective, veterinarians may recommend using high doses of the prescription medications, such as Heartgard Plus Chewables (ivermectin).