Can I introduce a dog to my cat? Never force any interactions but just give your cat a lot of attention and positive experiences such as grooming, playing, and treats while they are in the same room as your dog/puppy. Just let the cat get used to the dog being there and vice versa.
How do you introduce your new dog to your cats?
- Getting started. Make sure the cat has access to a dog-free sanctuary at all times.
- Keep the pets separate at first.
- Feed them on opposite sides of a closed door.
- Teach basic commands.
- Begin face-to-face meetings.
- Repeat sessions daily.
- Allow pets loose together.
- Proceed with caution.
How does Cesar Millan introduce dogs to cats?
How long does it take for a dog to get used to a cat? Liz Palika noted that, in her experience, the “get acquainted” process usually takes two to three weeks. Dr. Landsberg noted that sometimes it’s not easy to tell by their interactions if a dog and cat are getting along or not.