Can dogs have cherries without pits? Cherry fruit, without stems or seeds, is safe for dogs. But the stems and seeds contain a low concentration of toxins called cyanogenic glycoside (cyanide, essentially). In order for the toxins to be released and to become toxic to a dog, the seeds and stems have to be broken by chewing.
How many cherries are toxic to dogs? According to Pet Poison Helpline, parts of both cherries and cherry trees contain cyanogenic glycosides. In other words, parts of the cherry contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs and can kill them. One or two pitted cherries every now and then won’t harm your dog, but they shouldn’t become a regular treat.
What if a dog eats a cherry? A single cherry pit will not cause cyanide poisoning. But you should look out for symptoms of intestinal blockage, including vomiting, decreased appetite, constipation, and decreased fecal production. These symptoms may appear up to 24 hours after your dog swallowed a cherry pit.
Why can’t dogs eat cherries? Cherries are harmful for dogs primarily because the pit, leaves and stem contain cyanide, which is toxic to dogs. Further, the pit can potentially cause an intestinal blockage. The cyanide found within cherries is toxic to dogs if ingested in large enough quantities.